Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 64 Antworten
und wurde 2.804 mal aufgerufen
 Questions about the program
Seiten 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Scotty Offline

Administrator

16.09.2014 10:10
#31 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Apollonius im Beitrag #28
But then I got an error message, saying that "background.bmp.tga" was missing.

Are you sure to have a texture in tga format? Most probably it's only an issue of renaming (Windows hides the file extension by default). Just check the mtl/obj file and change the "background.bmp.tga" to "background.bmp".

By the way: S3D cannot process tga files.

Download: Sourceforge.net | Help:Wiki | Discussion: Forum | News: Twitter | Fanship: Facebook

Apollonius Offline

16.09.2014 10:42
#32 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Wings3D creates that file. I didn't think anything of it, until S3D told me it was missing... strange.

In the meantime, I'm making some more boards. :)

That one is for the "garden" design.

Scotty Offline

Administrator

16.09.2014 12:51
#33 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Apollonius im Beitrag #32
Wings3D creates that file.

Yes, the dummy texture has a tga format. But if you replace the file take care of the correct name including the (hidden) extension.
PS: Nice gardening :-)

Download: Sourceforge.net | Help:Wiki | Discussion: Forum | News: Twitter | Fanship: Facebook

Apollonius Offline

16.09.2014 20:37
#34 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Scotty im Beitrag #31
Just check the mtl/obj file and change the "background.bmp.tga" to "background.bmp".

By the way: S3D cannot process tga files.

I will do that, thanks!

That still does not explain to me why ALL of my 3D boards are broken now...S3D is trying to load that marble board for every board, including the afghan design and the "plain" one, too. It's still not loading ANY dsgn files except for the old style board, so I can't try to fix the problem by simply loading a working dsgn. Loading a broken one was what broke the program, so theoretically, loading a working one should fix it, but...

Scotty Offline

Administrator

16.09.2014 21:52
#35 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Please attach a broken design here. I'll check it.

Apollonius Offline

16.09.2014 22:05
#36 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Scotty im Beitrag #35
Please attach a broken design here. I'll check it.

Never mind! I fixed it!

It doesn't look very good, but it's there!

Also...I had taken out the "normal" texture, just to see what would happen...and it loaded the "normal" tile from the "afghan" design...?

Apollonius Offline

16.09.2014 23:32
#37 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

A few more things, while I'm thinking about them

Should I be making these premium textures all black and white? That way, people's default settings for those colors would not interfere, they would just show up as their own colors, but with gemstone/marble textures. But what about designs featuring premium spaces that have more than one color? I guess those can just stay the way they are. Sometimes the S3D overlay colors seem to have a noticeable impact on the premium spaces, but usually the effect is minimal, if detectable at all. I will do some experiments tonight, and see what a black/white gemstone board will look like, with ONLY S3D colors added via config.

Also, how are we going to show the board texture through the "normal" tiles? I don't want to cause more problems by experimenting with different file types in my dsgn files...but will S3D ever be able to support transparent images, like GIF or PNG format? I could just upload a transparent GIF as the "normal" texture, and the board texture would just show up through it.

And one last thing, would it be okay if I were to increase the size of these boards just slightly...like, not even a full unit...more like .3 - .4?

Scotty Offline

Administrator

17.09.2014 00:35
#38 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Only short answers for now: You are free to define the board size and shape as you want. And you can have transparency/opacity with the material (texture is a property of the mat). Transparency might have issues since I wrote the '3D engine' myself. Colors are actually light in S3D, combined with the emission/reflection characteristics of your object/material. And you can play with the 'Transparent board' setting at the illumination page.
Have fun with all the options :-)

Apollonius Offline

17.09.2014 03:44
#39 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Okay, I will increase the size of the marble board by just a little bit, and see what that does.

Can you tell me why the board looks so pixelated, and if that can be fixed? Is that as good as we can expect for the board texture resolution?

And I'm really hoping we can work something out with the transparency...I have a good feeling, though.

I'm still trying out the b/w gemstone board, more on that later!

Scotty Offline

Administrator

17.09.2014 09:45
#40 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Apollonius im Beitrag #39
Can you tell me why the board looks so pixelated, and if that can be fixed?

Pixelation comes from the texture's size respective its tiling. OpenGL scales textures depending on how often it should be repeated on the object. Plus, the original size influences the result too.
The marble background looks pretty nice to me but the frame doesn't. I'd say just remove its transparency.

Apollonius Offline

17.09.2014 14:34
#41 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

...Okay.

I have to admit that I am really quite disappointed.

After all this work, the boards I make will never look good. :(

What's the point?

Scotty Offline

Administrator

17.09.2014 16:42
#42 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Apollonius im Beitrag #41
After all this work, the boards I make will never look good. :(

Please upload your Wings project. I'll have to take a look to give you an advice.

Apollonius Offline

18.09.2014 00:42
#43 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Scotty im Beitrag #40

OpenGL scales textures depending on how often it should be repeated on the object.

But who gets to determine how often this should happen?

I am including my WIngs3D file. I hope you can help fix this!

In the meantime, I have made three skinned tiles. Two of them are the same texture in different colors, and the third is a different texture entirely.

Some things to consider, after seeing that screenshot:

- Full-res textures are the only way to end the drudgery of making these boards, only to find that your design looks horrible. The solid marble board is nice, but it's boring on its own. Why settle for just that, if you don't absolutely have to?

- transparent "normal" tiles are very important to a lot of designs that I have been working on for years now. I made them for a program that could handle them, and now it can't any more. Taking away this capability is a step backwards, in my opinion.

- In light of the new design capabilities, my opinion is that we should be able to toggle the board coordinate display on and off, depending on the intended use for the board. I also think that we should be able to change the tile font color. People that like to play with player colors turned on all the time would never even notice, and the ones who just turn it off and on as they need it (there should be a hotkey for this, I think) will not be hindered in either view that they choose.

Dateianlage:
garden.zip
Scotty Offline

Administrator

18.09.2014 09:21
#44 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

"...who gets to determine how often [repetition] should happen?": That's the part of rescaling. Help, 4.: " since the area is quite large it makes sense to scale it per context menu 'scale' > 'uniform' (and move the mouse in one direction until the label shows 1000%)"

"I am including my WIngs3D file. I hope you can help fix this!": I'll check the file this evening (GMT).

"transparent 'normal' tiles are very important": If this option doesn't exist I can take care of better processing. But I still believe you can make as well the tiles transparent.

"toggle the board coordinate display on and off": This option makes sense, agreed.

"we should be able to change the tile font color.": You can do that by changing the "design > board color" of "new letters".

Scotty Offline

Administrator

18.09.2014 20:02
#45 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

The pixelation issue comes from the fact that you didn't scale the texture. But that won't work with the embedded green so I prepared a new project, added the standard cube with a stone texture scaled to 500%. Then I put another flat cube onto the first and textured it with the grass (it looks horrible for some reason with the image, just take it for the idea). That works well but fails when it comes to S3D painting. The squares override the grass texture. Perhaps it's better when you outline in black/white. However, transparency is a mess!

PS: Just rename the dsgn.zip file into garden.dsgn. This platform doesn't accept unknown file types.

Dateianlage:
Garden.zip
garden.dsgn.zip
Seiten 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
 Sprung  
Xobor Forum Software von Xobor.de
Einfach ein Forum erstellen
Datenschutz