Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 18 Antworten
und wurde 1.675 mal aufgerufen
 More languages
Seiten 1 | 2
Bussinchen Offline

06.08.2012 13:15
Chinese Scrabble3D Zitat · Antworten

Scrabble3D in Chinese?

In this thread I would like to discuss the question whether it could be possible to play Scrabble3D in Chinese or not.

Welcome!

I OpenSource!
• Scrabble3D Download: Sourceforge.net | • Scrabble3D Help: Wiki | • Scrabble3D News: Twitter | • Scrabble3D Fanship: Facebook
• Scrabble3D in Italia: Sezione Scrabble3D sul Forum della Federazione Italiana Gioco Scrabble

Scotty Offline

Administrator

02.08.2012 19:04
#2 RE: Chinese Scrabble3D Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Bussinchen im Beitrag #8 auf euskara.dic
Akerbeltzalba speaks Basque

Unbelievable! But I'd be more interested in his experiences in Chinese.

akerbeltzalba Offline

06.08.2012 01:02
#3 RE: Chinese Scrabble3D Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Scotty
Unbelievable! But I'd be more interested in his experiences in Chinese

As far as Scrabble goes, no chance. You would need a "letterset" that's about 6,000 "units" big. Not really feasible I'm afraid.

Scotty Offline

Administrator

06.08.2012 09:24
#4 Chinese Scrabble3D Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von akerbeltzalba
As far as Scrabble goes, no chance. You would need a "letterset" that's about 6,000 "units" big. Not really feasible I'm afraid.

From a technically point of view that would be easy. The game can be run with a subset of all available "letters". But I thought asian languages have two types of script like kana and kanji in Japanese. One with a huge number of characters the other similar to western scripts.

Bussinchen Offline

06.08.2012 12:34
#5 RE: Chinese Scrabble3D Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Scotty
One with a huge number of characters the other similar to western scripts.

I don't know very much about just kana and kanji in Japanese. But I know that there are two writing systems in Chinese (Mandarin): traditional and simplified. But even the simplified system has thousands of sinograms (Chinese charakters). Every sinogram means one syllable. Sinograms have so-called radicals which are important for the "alphabetical" order of the words in the dictionaries: Words are sorted by radicals. Each sinogram is composed by points and different types of strokes provided with hooks or without hooks. The number of the basic strokes, however, is very limited.

What I think would be possible and very easy to use in Scrabble3D like any other language using alphabets for more or less phonetic spelling is Pinyin. Pinyin is the transcription of Chinese writing in Latin letters, commonly used on computer keyboards even in China. Normally Chinese people should know how to write in Pinyin. No problem: Chinese Scrabble is possible in Pinyin - even if playing Scrabble in Pinyin might be a little bit boaring because of the very limited number of Pinyin syllables and the enormous number of homophones. But where can we get a pinyin.dic from? By the way: To have a chinese.lang for Scrabble3D would be phantastic, too!

Attention: Cantonese is not the same as Mandarin - Cantonese is another language.

MDBG Chinese-English dictionary

Scotty Offline

Administrator

06.08.2012 13:38
#6 RE: Chinese Scrabble3D Zitat · Antworten

I like the idea to have Chinese characters on the board instead of Latin. So pinyin wouldn't be that interesting to me.
How does a dictionary looks like? If it contains a good number of items with a length about 7-8 characters there wouldn't be any major problem.
No posting without a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_character_encoding (German version of this article is better)

Download: Sourceforge.net | Help:Scrabble3D Wiki | Discussion: Forum | News: Twitter | Fanship: Facebook

Bussinchen Offline

06.08.2012 14:37
#7 RE: Chinese Scrabble3D Zitat · Antworten

Yes, Scotty, indeed! I think that Pinyin would be rather boaring, but Scrabble3D played with sinograms would be very fascinating!

A really great challenge for you who are the developer of Scrabble3D!

Regarding the number of sinograms (= Chinese characters) per word, unfortunately I must disappoint you:
Most Chinese words are composed of only one or two sinograms.

Examples taken from the leo.org Chinese-German Dictionary:
http://dict.leo.org/chde?lp=chde&search=行;

行 [行] xíng - gehen / to go

行人 -[行人]- xíngrén - pedestrian / der Fußgänger | die Fußgängerin | xíng = to go, gehen; rén = human being, Mensch
http://dict.leo.org/chde?lp=chde&p=DOKJA...行人;

Sometimes, however, we can find more sinograms like in compound words

朝圣之行 [朝聖之行] cháoshèng zhī xíng [rel.] - pilgrimage / die Pilgerfahrt, die Wallfahrt

But as you can see in Pinyin transcription, they are not real compounds, but those four characters in reality are three separate words.

One more example:

不行 [不行] bù xíng - not go / nicht gehen, where bù xíng are two separate words. = not, nicht.

But I have never seen 7 or 8 characters/sinograms in one word! That would be a whole sentence!

I OpenSource!
• Scrabble3D Download: Sourceforge.net | • Scrabble3D Help: Wiki | • Scrabble3D News: Twitter | • Scrabble3D Fanship: Facebook
• Scrabble3D in Italia: Sezione Scrabble3D sul Forum della Federazione Italiana Gioco Scrabble

Scotty Offline

Administrator

06.08.2012 20:29
#8 RE: Chinese Scrabble3D Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Bussinchen im Beitrag #7
But I have never seen 7 or 8 characters/sinograms in one word! That would be a whole sentence!
A dictionary that consists of Confucius' lessons. Each entry a full wisdom.
I guess the challenge is up to the translators...

BTW: I'd like to bear something else in mind.

Download: Sourceforge.net | Help:Scrabble3D Wiki | Discussion: Forum | News: Twitter | Fanship: Facebook

Bussinchen Offline

06.08.2012 20:56
#9 RE: Chinese Scrabble3D Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Scotty im Beitrag #8
BTW: I'd like to bear something else in mind.

Do you need a new thread, Scotty?

Love,
Adminchen

Zitat von Scotty
A dictionary that consists of Confucius' lessons. Each entry a full wisdom.

Of course! When Master Linhart has finished his latin.dic, he may create a kongfuzi.dic for Scrabble3D that is based on the corpus of the Analects of Confucius!

I OpenSource!

Bussinchen Offline

06.08.2012 21:35
#10 RE: Chinese Scrabble3D Zitat · Antworten

Laozi's 道德經 - Dao De Jing is even better!
It's really a good text!

In fact, I like it more than 孔夫子 Kǒng Fūzǐ.

I OpenSource!

Scotty Offline

Administrator

06.08.2012 22:48
#11 RE: Chinese Scrabble3D Zitat · Antworten

"Konfuzius sagt..." (Confucius says) is a famous German term for pieces of wisdom - with a slightly funny touch. Who cares about Laozi

Bussinchen Offline

06.08.2012 22:58
#12 RE: Chinese Scrabble3D Zitat · Antworten

ICH !

I OpenSource!

Bussinchen Offline

07.08.2012 00:46
#13 RE: Chinese Scrabble3D Zitat · Antworten

Ok, back to our actual discussion!

Scotty, you said before: "From a technically point of view that would be easy. The game can be run with a subset of all available 'letters'." What do you mean? It would be easy from a technically point of view to have a letter set with maybe 6,000 units??? Are you silly?!

I OpenSource!

akerbeltzalba Offline

08.08.2012 02:17
#14 RE: Chinese Scrabble3D Zitat · Antworten

No, characters are definitely out. The vast majority of words are one or two characters long at the most. That's like playing German Scrabble with, let's say, words which can be either 2 or 4 letters long. So you'd end up with solid blocks of characters and the chances are, that from 6,000 or so to choose from, you'd never get any that match. Not if you're bar has what, 8 tiles?

Traditional/Simplified just refers to a spelling reform which removed strokes from some characters, for example 簡 became 简. But the problem of using characters on a limited board and bar is the same.

Pinyin might work but most Chinese people are not good at Pinyin. Somehow I don't see that catching on but who knows.

Using Hiragana on the other hand, for a Japanese game, I can see working. Though I'm not sure where you'd get a kana wordlist from. You'd have a kana on each tile, a bit like a digraph on each, e.g.

hi|ra|ga|na
_
to
_
ri

Scotty Offline

Administrator

08.08.2012 10:02
#15 RE: Chinese Scrabble3D Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von akerbeltzalba im Beitrag #14
Using Hiragana on the other hand, for a Japanese game...
I'm afraid Bussinchen would demand me to flip and to invert the board.

Download: Sourceforge.net | Help: Wiki | Discussion: Forum | News: Twitter | Fanship: Facebook

Seiten 1 | 2
 Sprung  
Xobor Forum Software von Xobor.de
Einfach ein Forum erstellen
Datenschutz