Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 5 Antworten
und wurde 785 mal aufgerufen
 Questions about the program
Donald Offline

12.08.2013 18:38
Computer accepts any words. Zitat · Antworten

Hi,

I'm new to this game, and have been enjoying a few games against the computer and my Mum over the network.

However, I've now discovered there's no such thing as a "risky" word (at least with my setup) as ANY combination from my rack seems to be accepted when playing against the computer. (So I can get the 7-letter 50 bonus every turn.)

That's not much of a challenge! Am I missing something?? (My Mum has the same experience on her new laptop.)

Thanks, Donald

Scotty Offline

Administrator

12.08.2013 19:27
#2 RE: Computer accepts any words. Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Donald im Beitrag #1
That's not much of a challenge!

Actually it's the real challenge (mode).

I was asked this days about tooltips and why they don't show up anymore. I just copy my answer here:

Zitat
Whether or not a tooltip is shown is controlled by the newly introduced
feature "word check mode". Depending on what kind of mode you configure you
will see the hint immediately (takeback), after a move is completed (poll), or
after the game is finished (challenge). The word check mode can be set up at
the dictionary tab. With 'takeback' you are allowed to correct mistakes
yourself, e.g. a warning pops up before the move is completed and if you agree
your mates would be asked to agree in network mode. 'Poll' means that you
don't get the confirmation query before the mates are asked, you have to make
shure that the word is valid. And challenge is like tournament: unless your
opponents don't object a move within a certain period all words are treated as
valid.
By the way, the word search dialog is linked to these options too. Both
panels, left and right, are active in takeback mode, only the left in poll
mode and none in challenge mode.
During the game an icon at the statusbar shows the actual mode.

Does this solve your problem?

Download: Sourceforge.net | Help: Wiki | Discussion: Forum | News: Twitter | Fanship: Facebook

Gast
15.08.2013 16:15
#3 RE: Computer accepts any words. Zitat · Antworten

Actually, my query is not about the tooltips.

I meant when playing alone (not in network) against the computer: it doesn't seem to mind what letters you put down (as long as they connect and are in a straight line).

As an experiement, I just played "ae[h]uyoem" across two red tiles and received 230 points -- my highest ever score!

My question: why does the computer accept these random words?

Confused,
Donald

Bussinchen Offline

15.08.2013 17:08
#4 RE: Computer accepts any words. Zitat · Antworten

Dear Donald,

please check your settings:

Menu Configuration > Settings > Dictionary

On the right hand choose the option Poll or Takeback.

If you choose Challenge any letter combination will be accepted, because the Challenge mode is intended to be used for games played by humans, for example on the Scrabble3D game server, where human players have to challenge placed words like in real Scrabble tournaments. The Computer as your local playmate, however, is not able to challenge your nonsense words (that feature has not been developped). We have already a discussion about that problem in our German section: Computer als Gegner zweifelt keine Blödsinn-Wörter an

If you choose Poll as word check mode, the computer will check if words are valid words, but if you have placed a word which is not in the dictionary, your move will be cancelled, you will get zero points for that move, and you have lost your move (i.e. it is the next player's turn).

If you choose Takeback as word check mode, the computer will check if words are valid words, but if you have placed a word which is not in the dictionary, you may take back your word and place another word instead (i.e. you will not loose your turn, you will be able to continue your move and try again to place a correct, valid word).

Challenge = hard core mode for human hard core tournament players
Takeback = soft mode for training purposes
Poll = intermediate mode

So please check your settings. I think that you are still playing in Challenge mode which is not a good solution for your local games against the computer. Choose Poll or Takeback instead!

Kind regards,
Bussinchen

I OpenSource!
• Scrabble3D Download: Sourceforge.net | • Scrabble3D Help: Wiki | • Scrabble3D News: Twitter | • Scrabble3D Fanship: Facebook

Donald Offline

15.08.2013 18:11
#5 RE: Computer accepts any words. Zitat · Antworten

Thanks very much, Bussinchen. That explains everything and I now have it working properly.

(I was sure I'd tried that! )

Bussinchen Offline

15.08.2013 18:45
#6 RE: Computer accepts any words. Zitat · Antworten

You are welcome!

I OpenSource!
• Scrabble3D Download: Sourceforge.net | • Scrabble3D Help: Wiki | • Scrabble3D News: Twitter | • Scrabble3D Fanship: Facebook

Sprung  
Xobor Forum Software von Xobor.de
Einfach ein Forum erstellen
Datenschutz