Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 9 Antworten
und wurde 861 mal aufgerufen
 Discussions in English about Latin Scrabble
Bussinchen Offline

28.02.2012 01:16
In English: Discussion with Magister Scrabularum from Toronto Zitat · Antworten

In English:

Discussion with Magister Scrabularum from Toronto

I have started this thread so that we can discuss in English with Magister Scrabularum from Toronto.

Welcome, Magister Scrabularum, to our Scrabble3D forum!
Bussinatrix Magistro Scrabularum salutem dicit! Opto ut in forum nostrum veniat!

Let's talk here in English about Latin Scrabble in general and especially about Latin Scrabble3D!
Hic lingua Anglica non solum omnino de ludo Scrabularum sed etiam separatim de ludo Scrabularum3D Latine ludendo loquamur!

I look forward to meet you here!
Bussinatrix gaudet!

I OpenSource!
• Scrabble3D Download: Sourceforge.net | • Scrabble3D Help: Wiki | • Scrabble3D News: Twitter | • Scrabble3D Fanship: Facebook
• Scrabble3D in Italia: Sezione Scrabble3D sul Forum della Federazione Italiana Gioco Scrabble

Bussinchen Offline

28.02.2012 02:04
#2 RE: In English: Discussion with Magister Scrabularum from Toronto Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Bussinchen on Twitter to https://twitter.com/#!/latinscrabble
@latinscrabble Let's invite U to Scrabble3D forum! Started thread where we'll discuss LatinScrabble in English with U: In English: Discussion with Magister Scrabularum from Toronto

I OpenSource!
• Scrabble3D Download: Sourceforge.net | • Scrabble3D Help: Wiki | • Scrabble3D News: Twitter | • Scrabble3D Fanship: Facebook
• Scrabble3D in Italia: Sezione Scrabble3D sul Forum della Federazione Italiana Gioco Scrabble

Bussinchen Offline

15.03.2013 23:53
#3 RE: In English: Discussion with Magister Scrabularum from Toronto Zitat · Antworten

Magister Scrabularum tweeted on https://twitter.com/latinscrabble:

Zitat von Magister Scrabularum on Twitter, 26th February 2013
Magister Scrabularum ‏@latinscrabble
Been meaning to get into this discussion: http://17085.homepagemodules.de/t947f375-De-copia-litterarum-Latinarum-earumque-pretiis-Latin-Letter-Set.html#msg9870185 … Do we need to modernize the Toronto Rules? #latinscrabble

Very interesting!

I OpenSource!

larkvi.com Offline

18.03.2013 01:41
#4 RE: In English: Discussion with Magister Scrabularum from Toronto Zitat · Antworten

Hello,

I maintain larkvi.com. I am not very active in playing these days (finishing my dissertation) but am interested in your distributions. I will try to cajole the more active students to join this discussion with their insights.

Bussinchen Offline

18.03.2013 07:27
#5 RE: In English: Discussion with Magister Scrabularum from Toronto Zitat · Antworten

Oh, that's great! You are very welcome here in our forum, you and other Latin Scrabble playing students!

I OpenSource!

linhart Offline

18.03.2013 13:03
#6 RE: In English: Discussion with Magister Scrabularum from Toronto Zitat · Antworten

Hi larkvi.com,

I am very pleased to see you here in this forum.

Your site was one of the starting points of our project.

As you will have noticed already, we are very intensely discussing questions of acceptabilities of Latin words. This discussion is in German, but I think you will understand at least the questions and you may of course answer in English, and we may write in English as well.

Here are the main peculiarities of our concept:

1. We are primarily interested in Latin Scrabble for use with the program Scrabble3D.

The name of this program is somewhat misleading. While you can play a three-dimensional version of Scrabble with it, probably most people use the ordinary two-dimensional mode.

A main feature of this program is that it allows the introduction of several categories of words within a language, and then the user can switch on or off certain categories. For instance, there will be a category of words with Greek origin within the Latin word list. In particular, all names of Greek letters will be allowed, but only if this category is switched on.

2. We have decided to treat U and V as different letters, but not J and I.

The classical dictionary of Georges ( http://www.zeno.org/Georges-1913 ) uses this convention as well as most scholars in German speaking countries, but also e.g. the English site http://www.verbumsapienti.co.uk/.

However, it would be very easy to provide a version of the Latin word list with all Us replaced by Vs.

3. We use the letter set of verbumsapienti (http://www.verbumsapienti.co.uk/board.html ), which is different from yours, not only regarding U and V. This letter seems to be better adapted to the letter frequencies in Latin words. It is also used in the Scrabble game of verbumsapienti avaible at amazon.de: http://www.amazon.de/Piatnik-55033-Scrab...63602376&sr=8-1

Your letter distribution seems to be based on the frequencies in a Latin text (The Aeneid). There for instance the letter Q occurs much more frequently, since many words like QUI, QUAE, QUOD appear repeatedly in such a text, while they appear only once in an alphabetic word list.

But it would be easily possible also to use your letter set with Scrabble3D.

4. We have established a Latin word list based on Lewis & Short, containing all inflected forms, but taking into account special restrictions like intransitivity. This list is not yet in its final form, but seems to be already 99% correct. If you like, you can get a copy of it.

We do not use the word list of verbumsapienti.

------

So I’d like to say that we would be very glad if you and your students would become active members of this forum. You could soon get a good possibility to play Latin Scrabble against the computer or with your friends in the web.

larkvi.com Offline

04.04.2013 17:54
#7 RE: In English: Discussion with Magister Scrabularum from Toronto Zitat · Antworten

The points above are all correct--our distribution was simply made, and has its oddities--Q and H being the most notable (too many Qs / H is relatively easy to play for a large amount of points). Regarding the U/V difference, I personally think that using the same character lends Latin Scrabble more character, but I can see how that might not be popular. I do think one of the game's longstanding problems is the inclusion of Q without U, as there are no words, in Latin or English, which use Q without U (foreign transliterations for the purposes of selling scrabble dictionaries aside). If I were to redesign the set today, I would distribute it based upon Lewis and Short lexemes (as I understand you have), but treating QU as a single character, which would be on its own tile.

I have never seen a copy of the verbumsapienti set--when it first came out, I tried to order one, but they never responded to my email. I am running out of tiles to sell for our distribution and will likely not reorder them, so I would be happy to link to your game for people to continue playing.

I would certainly be interested in seeing your wordlist, and I invite suggestions for what material could be added to the latinscrabble.larkvi.com website, as it has been sadly neglected for too long. Articles on play or how Scrabble serves a pedagogical purpose are especially welcome.

Bussinchen Offline

04.04.2013 18:18
#8 RE: In English: Discussion with Magister Scrabularum from Toronto Zitat · Antworten

At the moment, we have only an unofficial test version of the latin.dic, i.e. the word list based on Lewis & Short dictionary (we always call it L&S here ), because my friend Linhart is still working on it. Thus the word list latin.dic cannot be downloaded from Sourceforge.net yet.

Your idea about having QU on one tile as a digraph is a very interesting new aspect for Latin Scrabble. In fact, our program Scrabble3D supports this function, because there are several languages which use digraphs in their Scrabble letter set, like Spanish, Catalan, Scottishgaelic and so on. But in this case the latin.dic has to be adapted to the digraph function, too. That means that the digraph QU has to be replaced by a number, for example number 1, both in the letter set and in the dictionary. So in the word list a word like QUAERO would be 1AERO, or EQUUS would be E1US. But on the Scrabble board these words would be shown correctly with both letters QU on one tile.

On the other hand I have not remarked any problems so far, when it comes to playing words with Q and U as single letters on different tiles in Latin Scrabble test games.

I OpenSource!

Bussinchen Offline

04.04.2013 18:38
#9 RE: In English: Discussion with Magister Scrabularum from Toronto Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von larkvi.com im Beitrag #7
I would certainly be interested in seeing your wordlist, and I invite suggestions for what material could be added to the latinscrabble.larkvi.com website, as it has been sadly neglected for too long. Articles on play or how Scrabble serves a pedagogical purpose are especially welcome.

I think it would be great if one day (in the future) we could integrate our own Latin Word Checker on your web site, because I'm sure that Linhart's latin.dic will have a much higher quality than Verbumsapienti's own Word Checker, where we already have seen bad errors like green background for inflected forms that don't exist and red background for inflected forms that do exist. But it would be necessary to program such a word checker before. Maybe our forum member Vektor, who has programmed the German word checkers on http://www.scrabble-blog.de/wortlisten/c...perdic-checker/ and http://www.scrabble-blog.de/wortlisten/checker/ could help us. At the moment, however, it is a little bit too early to talk about this, since the latin.dic has not been published yet.

I'm sure that we'll get more ideas about how we can use your website in order to make Latin Scrabble more popular in the future!

I OpenSource!

Bussinchen Offline

05.04.2013 01:02
#10 RE: In English: Discussion with Magister Scrabularum from Toronto Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von larkvi.com im Beitrag #7
[...] I invite suggestions for what material could be added to the latinscrabble.larkvi.com website, as it has been sadly neglected for too long.

Dear Magister Scrabularum,

you could also put links to Linhart's beautiful Aenigmata Scrabularum, which he publishes in this Scrabble3D forum every two weeks.

Every Aenigma has its own thread. Look here: Aenigmata Scrabularum
For the older Aenigmata solutions have already been published; in this thread --> SAMMELTHREAD: Alle Aenigmata Scrabularum noch einmal OHNE Lösung , however, Linhart has published all his Aenigmata Scrabularum without any solution, so that people even now can enjoy older Aenigmata as well.

What do you think about my suggestion?

I know that Linhart would be very very pleased, if more people could enjoy his Latin Aenigmata Scrabluarum, which really are amazing! They are so beautiful!

I OpenSource!

Sprung  
Xobor Forum Software von Xobor.de
Einfach ein Forum erstellen
Datenschutz