Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 64 Antworten
und wurde 2.794 mal aufgerufen
 Questions about the program
Seiten 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Apollonius Offline

18.09.2014 21:44
#46 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Scotty im Beitrag #44
That's the part of rescaling. Help, 4.: " since the area is quite large it makes sense to scale it per context menu 'scale' > 'uniform' (and move the mouse in one direction until the label shows 1000%)"

I thought I was already doing that when I went to point-to-point alignment... Oopsie!

I'll check the file this evening (GMT).

Thank you very much! I could not have done anything without your help.

If this option doesn't exist I can take care of better processing. But I still believe you can make as well the tiles transparent.

I have tried making the bmp transparent. It works, but S3D does not seem to see the transparency. It just displays the background color that I chose to be transparent. :(

You can do that by changing the "design > board color" of "new letters".

That does not change the font color, it only changes the plane on which the text is placed. It wouldn't do me any good to put black text on a white plane, then to put that white plane on a mahogany tile. I need to actually change the font color...the color of the letters. It would change it in the exact same way that "player color" affects it now. It could still keep behaving the same way, because people who play with player colors turned on never see the "actual" font color for the tiles anyway. All they ever see are the font colors of the people who played last.

Scotty Offline

Administrator

18.09.2014 21:49
#47 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Font color is either black or white depending on the actual luminosity. Oups... it should be but isn't. AFAIR, I didn't want to calculate the luminosity of textures so I removed maybe the whole procedure. Anyway, that doesn't solve the transparency. And about colored font: you can chose to have a shadow behind the text.

Download: Sourceforge.net | Help:Wiki | Discussion: Forum | News: Twitter | Fanship: Facebook

Apollonius Offline

18.09.2014 22:36
#48 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

I know...you didn't create Scrabble#d with design in mind so much, you were focusing more on function. But now that the function of the program is established, perhaps we can make some changes, for the betterment of the game design? I am of the opinion that we should at least be able to choose between black and white. Why should we have to leave it up to the program to choose that for us? Why should we not be able to choose ANY color though?

Ultimate design freedom can result in ultimate design disasters for people who play around with things without knowing what they are doing, BUT:

- The advanced controls are already behind a switch
- Users can already make the game completely unplayable via the design features already present...but they brought this upon themselves by opening the "advanced" tab, and there is already a way to easily revert back to default settings if they should mess anything up. We shouldn't avoid eating steaks just because children can choke on them!
- Changing the default font color for a board would not interfere AT ALL with players who like to play with player colors turned on. They would still see the exact same thing that they always did.
- Especially when you are looking at entire superscrabble boards, it is nearly impossible to see yellow text on a light-colored tile, even when you have the shadows turned on. Whoever "yellow" was will have to zoom the board way in and squint to see their played words. Player colors for me are a tool to use occasionally. This is something else which I think should be toggleable via a hotkey command in-game. Players could simply toggle it on by pressing ctrl-p (or whatever), see who played what, and toggle it back off. Board designs could have this toggled on or off by default, just like they already can, but players could turn the feature on and off in-game as they wanted/needed to. I also want to be able to do this:

At a glance, you could tell exactly where/how many blank tiles have been played. And again, it would not necessarily interfere with people who like to play with the player colors turned on!

Please, let's consider these things! As an active (addicted) designer of scrabble3D boards, I can tell you that the current limits of S3D, in light of the newly found design capabilities, are a very frustrating combination. The door is wide open, but we can't go through it yet!

Apollonius Offline

19.09.2014 01:36
#49 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

I just totally rebuilt the Greek gems board, and scaled the texture to 1000%.

It still looks exactly the same. :(

Sigh...this is so frustrating.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, why is it now impossible to get a true WHITE for any board color? It is always yellow tinged. Can this be fixed?

Scotty Offline

Administrator

19.09.2014 09:33
#50 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

When you rebuild a texture make sure to have the right material assigned to your object, in case there are more than one now. That's all I can imagine as a problem. Rescaling an even small texture by 100 times (which is 1000%) should work well.
White for board color? Please be more specific, I use the term board for the object and for colors which are rather light. Those colors can be set freely.

Download: Sourceforge.net | Help:Wiki | Discussion: Forum | News: Twitter | Fanship: Facebook

Apollonius Offline

19.09.2014 11:10
#51 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

What I mean is, if you set a board color (let's say the "normal" space) to white, the space USED to look white on the board when you played. Now it doesn't. :( It looks like a pale yellow, or white walls in a heavy smoker's house. I have adjusted all of the lighting settings, nothing fixes this.

Because of it, if you try to make a pale blue board, it looks green because everything seems to have this yellowish tinge to it.

Here's what I'm talking about:

The board color for the "normal" space is set to pure white, like in the bottom circle in that picture, and what is displayed is pale yellow, as in the top circle. It only started being this way after the new update.

Scotty Offline

Administrator

19.09.2014 14:30
#52 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

No problem here (yesterday's design, normal squares in white). If we talk about modifications to the Earthgem design: it includes textures for all squares. Try to delete the file normal.bmp from the design.

Apollonius Offline

19.09.2014 19:28
#53 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

The board I posted already had no normal.bmp in it. :( I also just tried to put a normal.bmp that I made pure white into the dsgn, and it still looks exactly the same.

It's not just one board. Even on my afghan board, when I try for a light blue, it winds up being light green. Here's what the original bmp looks like, and then how it's displayed in the game:

I wonder why you can get a pure white, and I can't...

Bussinchen Offline

19.09.2014 19:59
#54 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Apollonius im Beitrag #53

Maybe OS Windows versus Linux...

Apollonius Offline

20.09.2014 01:42
#55 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Bussinchen im Beitrag #54
Zitat von Apollonius im Beitrag #53

Maybe OS Windows versus Linux...

Maybe...? I didn't think about that! I don't know enough to say really, but my bf has a linux system. Maybe he can experiment with it? I know he has scrabble3D on his system already...

Apollonius Offline

20.09.2014 05:45
#56 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Okay...I think this might be a "ghost" setting in the cache.

I've noticed that sometimes, when parts of a dsgn are missing, S3D will display an image from its cache, to make up for the missing data.

Am I right? Is there a way to purge old settings? I mean...I know that is already supposed to happen, but sometimes settings seem to get "stuck".

I usually have a light wood tone for my tiles and "new letter" color, so maybe that setting is somehow "stuck" on everything now?

I'm just grasping at straws here. :-/

[EDIT] Oh, and I checked out the dsgn, Scotty. Thank you for making that. I really don't want to have to tile a pattern, I want to skin an entire object with one design. :( It just kills me that it looks so nice in Wings3D, and looks so horrible in S3D. I still keep using that dsgn though...this board has been a dream of mine for years. I will be patient, and together, we will find a way to make the miracles happen! :)

Community projects are a wonderful thing, and I am proud to be a part of this one.

Bussinchen Offline

20.09.2014 06:58
#57 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

Zitat von Apollonius im Beitrag #56
Community projects are a wonderful thing, and I am proud to be a part of this one.

So was I.

Before.

Scotty Offline

Administrator

20.09.2014 10:19
#58 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

I've noticed that sometimes, when parts of a dsgn are missing, S3D will display an image from its cache, to make up for the missing data.

OpenGL is a so called 'state machine'. That means you set a property and it remains active unless it is changed again. But I hope to have done all necessary steps before a certain step of drawing happens. The sequence is: board, coordinates, squares, bonus markers, tiles, and letters.

I really don't want to have to tile a pattern

Texturing means tiling, sorry.

Apollonius Offline

20.09.2014 12:32
#59 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

If you are telling me that one solid image for a board is impossible, then I give up. What I have in mind is way ahead of that.

Scotty Offline

Administrator

20.09.2014 12:43
#60 RE: Design Questions Zitat · Antworten

It's not impossible, e.g. I do not tile the pieces' texture. But you need a really huge image when you want to wrap it around the board. It's impracticable (and impossible if you have a size beyond technical limitations, which are some gigabyte recently but not 10 years ago).

Seiten 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
 Sprung  
Xobor Forum Software von Xobor.de
Einfach ein Forum erstellen
Datenschutz